Summer is almost over and it feels like it just began. Have you enjoyed summer? By that we mean have you plucked everything enjoyable you can from it? Have you took dips in swimming pools? Let the cool water wash your body of boredom?
Not to be too overtly poetic, but summer is meant to be enjoyed to the maximum, kinda like a Thanksgiving turkey. While leftovers are nice, nothing can take from the enjoyment of devouring it whole on the day it should be devoured. Summer’s the same way, especially when it comes to swimming pools.
Not all swimming pools are meant to be devoured; some are meant to be unused, the ones that aren’t taken care of, the ones swimming with disease, bacteria, and parasites. There are an uncomfortable amount of them in the country presently. Your pool may be contaminated by a parasite resistant to chlorine, as discussed in this CBS article.
Stephanie Stahl writes, “A summertime warning about pools, the water can be contaminated with a parasite, that’s resistant to chlorine.”
Yes, you heard us correct; this swimming pool parasite is resistant to chlorine. It’s like a super-villain you see on the big screen. We don’t mean to alarm you, but next time you take a dip in the swimming pool it’s wise that you watch out for this parasite, called cryptosporidium, which comes from feces. In Pennsylvania alone, the bacteria caused 369 illnesses last year. Symptoms include gastrointestinal issues and while it’s not dangerous for adults, it can cause havoc for children and people with immune issues. Since the parasite can live in water for up to 10 days, the CDC recommends pools being closed for a bit to receive a thorough cleaning. Do your best to make this summer parasite-free.